Best Tips for Removing Mold from Your House

Mold is a rather common issue in many houses. Bathrooms and basements are prime targets for mold in homes. Usually, it doesn’t have to be a large problem. You can always just remove it even if it’s not a health hazard. That’s not always true, though.

It’s safer to remove any mold in your house because it can cause illness in some people. They can have symptoms similar to those of a cold or the flu. Other mold symptoms are breathing issues, sinus problems, rashes and asthma. Being exposed to toxic black mold for a long time can cause such serious conditions as bleeding lungs. If mold spores reach your lungs, you can become quite ill. You can see spores with the naked eye so it’s easy to inhale them without knowing. The only solution is to clean your house.

Some people are more susceptible to symptoms of mold exposure than others. If you’re in good health, it may not affect you at all. However, elderly people, children, pregnant women and people already suffering from allergies are more likely to experience symptoms.

Typically, you can spot any mold that may be in your house. If you see any round stains or spots turning up, then your house has mold. It can be seen on walls, floors or any fabrics in your house. You may also smell a musty odor that can be caused by hidden mold.

Since mold can grow nearly anywhere, you’ll need to inspect your home thoroughly. Mold loves organic material like wood, paper and wet fabrics. So pay attention to any damp rugs or shower curtains.

Never allow wet laundry to sit for days. By the time you’re ready to wash or dry the clothes, you may discover they’ve all developed mold. Too many clothes have had to be thrown away because of this.

If your home is ever flooded, you need to do everything you can to dry it as quickly as possible. The longer it stays wet the more chance you’ll have of developing mold. Any flood can cause serious mold from water damage.

This includes floods caused by weather, a clogged toilet, an overflowing sink, and leaky pipes. Dry the floors, rugs, walls and anything else that needs it.

Be careful with sagging ceilings and peeling paint because these can point to a hidden leak. This needs to be investigated to locate the leak. Then the leak needs to be fixed immediately.

Now, if you’ve just got a small space that has mold, you can probably clean it by yourself. In fact, most people usually clean mold from their kitchens or bathrooms pretty easily.

For larger affected areas, you’ll probably need to call in a professional mold removal service. They’ll be more equipped to handle serious mold infestations. Don’t forget to thoroughly check out any company before you hire them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *